al-Baqarah 2:45; at-Taubah 9:103; adh-Dhariyat 51:18; al-Ma`arij 70:22-23; al-Qiyamah 75:31; al-`Alaq 96:10; al-Kauthar 108:2,
see also WORSHIP, Salat and Du'a. 5 prescribed prayer: Fajr before sunrist, Zuhr at midday, 'Asr when sun was still hot (before sunset), Maghrib after sunset, 'Isha at night. Some extreme Muslims advocate death for failure to observe prayers.
Narrated Anas bin Malik:On the other hand, Jesus prayed looking towards heaven :
The Prophet said, "What is wrong with those people who look towards the sky during the prayer?" His talk grew stern while delivering this speech and he said, "They should stop (looking towards the sky during the prayer); otherwise their eye-sight would be taken away." (Sahih Bukhari 1.717)
After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed: "Father, the time has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him. (John 17:1-2)Jesus would have been blind if Muhammad was correct.
* Narrated Ibn 'Umar:* Muhammad's understanding of at-Taubah 9:80 was wrong, and so he was not allowed to do that again. Even though he knew that Allah will not hear his prayers, he still prayed it.
When 'Abdullah bin Ubai (the chief of hypocrites) died, his son came to the Prophet and said, "O Allah's Apostle! Please give me your shirt to shroud him in it, offer his funeral prayer and ask for Allah's forgiveness for him." So Allah's Apostle gave his shirt to him and said, "Inform me (When the funeral is ready) so that I may offer the funeral prayer." So, he informed him and when the Prophet intended to offer the funeral prayer, 'Umar took hold of his hand and said, "Has Allah not forbidden you to offer the funeral prayer for the hypocrites? The Prophet said, "I have been given the choice for Allah says: '(It does not avail) Whether you (O Muhammad) ask forgiveness for them (hypocrites), or do not ask for forgiveness for them. Even though you ask for their forgiveness seventy times, Allah will not forgive them. (at-Taubah 9:80)" So the Prophet offered the funeral prayer and on that the revelation came: "And never (O Muhammad) pray (funeral prayer) for any of them (i.e. hypocrites) that dies." (at-Taubah 9:84) (Sahih Bukhari 2.359)
* Narrated Said bin Al-Musaiyab from his father:* This incident indicates that Muhammad prayed for his pagan uncle. While deathbed conversion is not acceptable (an-Nisa' 4:18), Muhammad also beseeched his uncle to forsake idolatry at his deathbed.
When the time of the death of Abu Talib approached, Allah's Apostle went to him and found Abu Jahl bin Hisham and 'Abdullah bin Abi Umaiya bin Al-Mughira by his side. Allah's Apostle said to Abu Talib, "O uncle! Say: None has the right to be worshipped but Allah, a sentence with which I shall be a witness (i.e. argue) for you before Allah. Abu Jahl and 'Abdullah bin Abi Umaiya said, "O Abu Talib! Are you going to denounce the religion of Abdul Muttalib?" Allah's Apostle kept on inviting Abu Talib to say it (i.e. 'None has the right to be worshipped but Allah') while they (Abu Jahl and Abdullah) kept on repeating their statement till Abu Talib said as his last statement that he was on the religion of Abdul Muttalib and refused to say, 'None has the right to be worshipped but Allah.' (Then Allah's Apostle said, "I will keep on asking Allah's forgiveness for you unless I am forbidden (by Allah) to do so." So Allah revealed (the verse) concerning him (i.e. It is not fitting for the Prophet and those who believe that they should invoke (Allah) for forgiveness for pagans even though they be of kin, after it has become clear to them that they are companions of the fire (at-Taubah 9:113). (Sahih Bukhari 2.442)
[Jesus taught:] You have heard that it was said, `Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. (Matthew 5:43-45)
* Narrated Abu Bakr bin Abi Musa: My father said, "Allah's Apostle said, 'Whoever prays the two cool prayers ('Asr and Fajr) will go to Paradise.' " (Sahih Bukhari 1.548)This certainly looks presumptous given that Muhammad fails to give definitive answers for salvation.
* ``[Jesus said:] And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men... But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.'' (Matthew 6:5,7)
* Narrated'Abdullah bin Buraida: 'Imran bin Husain had piles. Once Abu Ma mar narrated from 'Imran bin Husain had said, "I asked the Prophet (p.b.u.h) about the prayer of a person while sitting. He said, 'It is better for one to pray standing; and whoever prays sitting gets half the reward of that who prays while standing; and whoever prays while lying gets half the reward of that who prays while sitting.' " (Sahih Bukhari 2.217)
* Narrated Abu Huraira: I heard Allah's Apostle saying, "If there was a river at the door of anyone of you and he took a bath in it five times a day would you notice any dirt on him?" They said, "Not a trace of dirt would be left." The Prophet added, "That is the example of the five prayers with which Allah blots out (annuls) evil deeds." (Sahih Bukhari 1.506)
Go Back to Main Index